Auctioning Los Angeles History
Abell has handled the treasured belongings of high-profile clients ranging from a former U.S. president to legendary Hollywood celebrities, such as silent screen idol Francis X. Bushman, costume designer Edith Head and “Gone with the Wind” actress Anne Rutherford, to name a few.
In 2004, Frank Sinatra’s martini-stained Steinway piano and a platter that served up steak to Cary Grant were among the items auctioned from L.A.’s famed Perino’s restaurant, the last of the legendary eateries from Hollywood’s Golden Age.
Abell recently sold property belonging to Bess Meyerson, the only Jewish Miss America ever crowned; Louis Zamperini, subject of the book and film “Unbroken”; and Sam Simon, co-creator of “The Simpsons,” to benefit the Sam Simon Charitable Giving Foundation, supporting animal welfare, poverty alleviation and disaster relief.
Notable Auction Items
Not only has Abell sold the estates of actors and producers on Hollywood’s “A-list,” but of many people who were the backbone of Hollywood such as writers, set designers, and stylists like Sydney Guilaroff who created Lucille Ball’s iconic hairdo.
- Gene Kelly’s Yamaha grand piano
- Flip Wilson’s Mercedes 280SE 3.5 convertible, custom-designed Harley Davidson motorcycle and clothing from his popular television character “Geraldine”
- Gene Autry’s Steinway grand piano on which he composed “Here Comes Santa Claus”
- Vincent Price’s library of books
- Loretta Young’s lifetime of correspondence with her fans, and personal and studio still photos
- Cecil B. DeMille’s museum-quality Italian Renaissance furniture, rare books and incunabula
- Lili Damita’s trunk containing love letters to and from Erroll Flynn and 1920s-era Fortuny gowns
- Jack Warner’s furniture by renowned designer William Haines
- Barbara Stanwyick’s, Danny Thomas’ and Loretta Young’s fine estate furnishings
Deeply committed to giving back to the community, Abell has donated its auctioneering expertise to raise over $5 million for local non-profit organizations, causes and schools.
Allergy and Asthma Foundation
American Cancer Society
Catholic Big Brothers Big Sisters
Children’s Cancer Research Fund
City of Hope
Exceptional Children’s Foundation
Holy Family Church
Jewish Big Brothers
Muscular Dystrophy Association
Music Center of Los Angeles
Pasadena Children’s Guild
Santa Monica Boys and Girls Club
Verdugo Hills Hospital
Wheels for Humanity
Alverno High School
American Jewish University
College of the Desert
Loyola High School
Loyola Marymount University
Mayfield Junior School
Mayfield Senior School
Santa Teresita School
St. Matthew’s School
St. Monica’s School
Verbum Dei High School